Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Weight of Words...


I realized I have deep thoughts, they occur at various times during my day and I always think I'm going to remember them later and I don't. I've taken to sticking a post-it on my name tag and jotting things down as they're happening. Now that's multi-fucking-tasking (or muti-fucking-tastic?). Alas the other thing I also lose track of: my post-its. One fell off and I looked everywhere for it, convinced it held some sort of epiphany or degrading comment I wouldn't want found by anyone else but me. Makes me wonder where it got off to, or maybe I should start believing in Harry Potter magic because it Kaiser fucking Soze'd it's paper ass right out of that building.

Other things I thought of today:

Maybe I should start proof-reading letters on fb before I send them. I do give them a quick once over but when I reread them in the stream I inevitably think, "Oh, that didn't come out right at all." Tone is soo hard to convey in type. I'm much better when I'm being sarcastic and actually meaning to be.

It's hard not to feel, "Keep your ego in check when dealing with customers" is not directed directly at me when I read it on the break room wall.

Ooohhh, I get it. I google = igoogle

I had this professor once who wanted us to draw a diagram that measured the weight of words. Feather would be light, and Anvil or Concrete pit equal heavy. It's not how much these things actually weigh though. Sunshine and the color Pink seem pretty light and fluffy to me too. I thought it was such a bullshit assignment at the time. I don't even think I did it, or I half-assed it if I did. But it comes back to me now. Maybe I will diagram some words, but I was thinking more in the respect of events and or occurrences. An annoying customer is annoying but in the grand scheme of things how much should they impact the effect they have on my day? A divorce or a death are heavy, having a piano drop on you from above 3 stories above is also heavy, and they impact your life a hell of a lot more. So what about the other things I tend to dwell on...how much time should they merit? I don't know the answer to that. What pops in your head pops in it for a reason, and if it lingers then there must be some reason for that too. I'm just tired of over thinking things to the point that they lose all meaning or get assigned too much. I've been trying to be more instinctual but I think I have pretty bad instincts, or at least opposite from the norm, hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment